Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ripper


3 a.m., and streets are quiet;
all but the "plink" of water dripping
from the bridge into puddles
I can see in the moonlight.

That light shines in veins
on the black walkway,
and if I were dreaming
I'd think I hit the mother lode.

It is mid-spring,
a comfortable evening,
albeit humid -
which makes me shiver.

A lone cicada
in a tree outside a shop
shakes out a maraca beat,
but no one joins in.

I'm unsure why
my heart is pounding so,
when all I seek
is peace.

A ridiculous longing
grips me,
and I half expect you
to walk out into the moonlight.

But, I know I can't conjure you,
so I stay under the bridge,
reluctantly experiencing
solitude.

2 Comments:

Blogger ecelliam said...

Very nice, it feels as though something may happen at any moment.
Thank you.

4:30 PM  
Blogger David & Juanita Anum said...

reminds me of my nightmares. your writing is so vivid and clear. I felt a strong romance between the killer and the night. I hope you don't mind if i follow.

Check out my blog ;)

3:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home